Active membership in the ASAE Communications Advisory Council is an opportunity to support content, learning, and engagement priorities of communication professionals and others in the association industry who benefit from communication perspectives and effective practices. Members serve a one-year term, renewable for up to three years.
Council members work together virtually to identify and address key communication issues by seeking input from the broader communication professionals and other sources, fostering important discussions in the communication community, and contributing to the development of content and learning resources. Areas include communication strategy, content strategy, print and electronic publishing, online communication, social strategies and tactics, public relations, media relations, and other areas in the communication field.
- Current position serving in a communication role, overseeing communication functions in an association, or consulting to associations on communication initiatives.
- 4 or more years of professional communication experience preferred, with a minimum of one year serving in a communication role with or for an association.
- Broad communication expertise or deep expertise in a specific communication area (e.g., publishing, media relations) that would serve as a foundation for surfacing useful content and engagement for members of the broader Communication Community.
- Knowledge of communication issues faced by associations and professionals working in associations.
Applications should answer the following question:
What contributions will you bring to the council to further the association industry?
Not all applicants will be accepted for this committee. The selection committee is comprised of the incoming volunteer chair, the incoming volunteer vice chair, the outgoing volunteer chair, and the ASAE executive staff liaison. The ASAE staff liaison plays a supporting role in this process.
- Orientation in mid- July (Date TBD) - This meeting is held virtually and is required for all new volunteers
- Kickoff Meeting in July (Date TBD) This meeting is held virtually and is required of all council members
- In-person Meeting - Saturday, August 5, 2023 at the ASAE Annual Meeting & Expo in Atlanta, GA (Not required)
Applications- Applicants should clearly define, in their application, how they can best serve on this group as outlined in the above description.
- New volunteers are required to attend the volunteer group’s orientation in order to serve.
- Council members (or their organizations) pay their own travel expenses to attend meetings.
Diversity of Voice- With support of ASAE staff, the selection committee utilizes the ASAE Board Diversity Policy and Volunteer Model to ensure the group is comprised of a variety of voices from the membership. To support this effort, all ASAE members can log into their main ASAE account and update their information in their ASAE Profile to ensure it is complete and up to date.
- New volunteers are required to attend the volunteer group’s kickoff meeting in order to serve.
- ASAE does not reimburse Committee, or Council members for travel.
- Members can only serve 1 (one) volunteer group (council or committee) at a time.
In principle and in practice, ASAE values and seeks diversity and inclusive practices within the association management industry.