Online Community Rules and Etiquette
Thank you for being part of the ASAE online community. To ensure the best possible experience for all community members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
What is Collaborate?
Collaborate is a community for ASAE members to engage in discussion and seek and receive feedback and resources from other professional peers around the association management profession. ASAE encourages members to come prepared to share successes, challenges, provide constructive feedback, bring questions, and provide perspective in all manners related to association management. Members are asked to agree to follow the below rules and etiquette to ensure Collaborate remains an open space to discuss issues and topics related to association management.
ASAE has many outlets for our members to provide information, we encourage you to select the correct outlet amongst our many offerings. Here are some examples of other locations ASAE provides:
Promotions or advertising options can be found with ASAE Advertising. Promotional messages are not permitted in Collaborate.
Finding or seeking a job? Please go to Association CareerHQ
General questions or information about ASAE? Reach out to Member Services Center at 888-950-2723 or email@example.com
In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, ASAE reserves the right to utilize the stated Community Violation Policy on Collaborate members who violate these rules.
- Don’t attack others. The discussions on the community platforms are meant to stimulate conversation not to create contention. Let others have their say, just as you may.
- Don't post commercial messages. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Collaborate messages should not contain promotional material, special offers, job offers, product announcements, or solicitation for services. ASAE reserves the right to remove such messages and potentially ban sources of those solicitations.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on any platform is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited and will be removed.
- Send your message only to the most appropriate platforms. Please note that members are part of multiple groups, posting to 1-2 groups per message should reach all the members you seek to get feedback from.
- Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted to the Community.
- Remember that ASAE and other participants have the right to reproduce postings.
Some general tips to help you maintain good etiquette when reproducing content.
- Be courteous. Please ask participants for permission to republish their words elsewhere (especially if elsewhere would be a publicly viewable setting).
- When citing Collaborate discussions, please include a link back to the original discussion or to the Collaborate homepage.
- Transparency is very important in gaining trust in online relationships, therefore be clear who you are and who you work for when posting on any platform. This means including your real name on your Facebook and Twitter accounts along with disclosing your employer and using a profile picture of your likeness and not your company’s logo.
- Decide which platform is best for your message. Just sharing a link? Twitter might be the best. Sharing an article with your comments then Facebook might be better. Want to start conversations around a topic? That is best served in Linked in or Collaborate.
- To learn more about how to use these tools please contact the ASAE social media team.
The Legal Stuff
These social media pages, accounts, and sites are provided as a service of ASAE. ASAE is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on these sites by others. ASAE disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on these sites, whether posted by ASAE or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall ASAE be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. In addition, by posting material, you grant to ASAE and the members of this community the nonexclusive, worldwide, transferable right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material in any way and in any medium, including but not limited to print or electronic form.
Content should not be posted if it encourages or facilitates members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Content that encourages or facilitates an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers. ASAE does not actively monitor these sites for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to ASAE's attention, ASAE will take all appropriate action.
ASAE reserves the right to block any users who do not abide by these guidelines.