The Legal Advisory Council is dedicated to disseminating knowledge and connecting professionals concerned with association legal issues.
The Projects for 2021-2022 include:
The 2021-2022 Legal Section Council term will begin on September 1, 2021.
- Recommending and advising ASAE on ways to improve programs and services for Legal Advisory members;
- Authoring the monthly Association Law & Policy (ALP) in ASAE’s E-magazine Associations Now Plus.
- Authoring the Good Counsel column in ASAE’s publication Associations NOW.
- Considering ways to increase a sense of community amongst Legal Advisory professionals via social media, Collaborate, and other means. The 2021-2022 Legal Section Council term will begin on September 1, 2021.
- 7-10 years association industry experience Legal association professional or In-house/Outside Counsel to associations/organizations
- Engaged in ASAE (Volunteer, Conference Attendee, Contributor, etc.)
Not all applicants will be accepted for this group. The selection committee is comprised of the incoming volunteer chair, the incoming volunteer vice chair, the outgoing volunteer chair, and the ASAE executive staff liaison. The ASAE staff liaison plays a supporting role in this process. The following factors are reviewed in the selection process:
Applications- Applicants should clearly define, in their application, how they can best serve on this group as outlined in the above description.
- 2020-2023 ASAE Strategic Plan Framework
- New volunteers are required to attend the volunteer group’s orientation in order to serve.
- Council members (or their organizations) pay their own travel expenses to attend meetings.
Diversity of Voice- With support of ASAE staff, the selection committee utilizes the ASAE Board Diversity Policy and Volunteer Model to ensure the group is comprised of a variety of voices from the membership. To support this effort, all ASAE members can log into their main ASAE account and update their information in their ASAE Profile to ensure it is complete and up to date.
• New volunteers are required to attend the volunteer group’s kickoff meeting in order to serve.
• ASAE does not reimburse Board, Committee, or Council members for travel.
• Members can only serve 1 (one) volunteer group (council or committee) at a time.
In principle and in practice, ASAE values and seeks diversity and inclusive practices within the association management industry.