In 2018, the Diversity + Inclusion Committee worked in collaboration with many in the field to create the ASAE 2019–2021 Diversity + Inclusion (D+I) Strategic Plan and now we are executing that plan. The 2020 year marks a 100-year milestone for ASAE and one in which we can utilize the opportunity to also celebrate our differences, diverse backgrounds and embrace the continued work ahead to make the association space a more inclusive and equitable one.
In 2020, the ASAE Diversity + Inclusion Committee will continue to focus on the four strategic plan areas in which we can help association leadership expand D+I from narrative to reality:
- Top-Level Commitment and Accountability
- Empowered Women
- Algorithmic Responsibility
- Formal Benchmarking and Informal Data Driven Dialog.
Volunteer activity begins in January and ends in December and the group has one mandatory in-person meeting which will be held on Monday, March 2, 2020 at ASAE headquarters in Washington, DC.
Projects for 2020 include:
- Based on 2019 assessment of association c-level leadership’s commitment to D+I, identify champions and craft ideas for targeted content of best practices for other association leaders
- Work with the marketing department to promote the CEO Action Site and develop metrics for determining success
- Create resources that explain leadership gender gaps and possible solutions
- Use results of algorithmic responsibility task force to share AI biases and principles to combat those
- Work with ASAE Foundation to further market the Inclusion Index and develop metrics to analyze the results of those efforts
- Participate in the D+I committee member content challenge
- Promotion of and participation in LeadHERshift: Empowered Women Online Seminar Series
- DELP Scholar Mentorship
Diversity +Inclusion Committee Participation Requirements
- Attend the mandatory, in-person meeting on March 2, 2020
- A 3-5 hour commitment per month
- Committee members meet via conference call on the third Thursday of each month for 60 minutes. You may be asked to participate in workgroup discussions at a different time.
- Actively participate in discussions in ASAE Collaborate
*When filling out the application, applicants are encouraged to speak directly to how they meet the eligibility requirements and how they can contribute to the 2020 projects.
- Committee members assume travel expenses to attend the in-person meeting. ASAE does not reimburse Board, Committee, or Council members for travel.
- Members can only serve 1 (one) volunteer group (council or committee) at a time.
In principle and in practice, ASAE values and seeks diversity and inclusive practices within the association management industry.
ASAE promotes involvement, innovation, and expanded access to leadership opportunities that maximize engagement across identity groups and professional levels. Identity groups include and are not limited to age, appearance, disability, ethnicity, gender, geographic location, nationality, professional level, race, religion, and sexual orientation.